Wednesday, August 03, 2005

A New Home, A Peaceful Heart

This weekend I moved again for the third time this year. I found an apartment when I moved from Edmonton to Calgary, but my landlord was getting married. On May 15th, I moved into a new place but found it was not where I was supposed to be. This third move was completely of the Lord and was the best move I have had to date!

When I started seeking the possibility of another apartment, I was looking into an area of town where I am employed. Nothing was affordable or felt right in my spirit. The Lord kept leading me to a source and told me there was a place for me. I had a difficult time seeing what the Lord had for me. There was one possibilty in the same neighbourhood. I kept thinking that would not make sense...move three blocks away? I trusted the Lord and made the phone call.

The apartment was a little out of my price range and before I called I asked the Lord to give me an amount that He would bless. I then called this Christian couple and explained my situation. I went over a couple of hours later. I told them my circumstances, that I was a bible college student and explained my passion for ministry. As I described what the Lord was doing, the three of us were filled with tears. Praise the Lord! We were an answer to one another's prayers! We even recieved the same rental price for the apartment from the Holy Spirit!

I then went to look at the suite. Wow! Everything that I was seeking. I measured the space and was so excited that my poor furniture could finally have a home. It had sat covered in plastic outside in all of the rain and flooding. Furthermore, it had sat on a porch from January to April. The Lord has truly blessed me. The place is serene, beautiful and peaceful. It is a gift from God. As I sat soaking in the bathtub, I couldn't help but feel that I had dreamed of this place before, that this apartment was hand picked for me, for such a time as this.

I had only started packing for this move two days before. Unfortunately, I pulled back muscles, possibly even a ligament in my lower back region. I went to the chiropractor at work that day and he concurred I had indeed pulled muscles. I had to ask for help. So, I asked three Christian brothers/friends to help me move so that I did not have to lift any heavy items. I think the Lord was teaching me a lesson. Get myself out of the way and ask for help! I try to do so much on my own. The Lord is teaching me to rely on Him and through this experience He most certainly has.

So, I had no details on the move and therefore could not really give any answers to those that I might need help from. My new landlord told me not to worry. So, that is exactly what I did. Trusted God for the end result. On Thursday evening I was too tired and sore to pack. On Friday I worked a full day, then decided to go to Bible Study and got home at 11:30 pm. On Saturday morning I ran errands and picked up some empty boxes and looked after my girlfriend's cats. Around lunch time I started packing. My landlord came over around 1-2 pm and we started slowly bringing items over to the new apartment. In between I packed and made a couple of phone calls to arrange for help. I even took a break around 3 pm to answer email and talked on the phone for 30 minutes or so.

At 5pm, my landlord showed up with a truck. His friend let us use it for free. We loaded up some items and took it over to the new place. When the guys arrived at 3:30, they moved all the heavy boxes and pieces of furniture. Then we slowly packed items into boxes and away we went. At 9:30 pm, all four of us (the one guy went home early) sat down at a restaurant to eat supper. Everything was out of the apartment! The Lord blessed me even more. Oneof the guys paid for my dinner! Can youimagine? I should be blessing them! Instead, the Lord showered me with blessings. I am sooo thankful!

On top of all of that, my landlord arranged my furniture for me and brought boxes in from the garage so I would not have to lift them. Furthermore, the young Christian man that was here before has allowed me to use his phone for a few days until I can make arrangements for a telephone since Telus is on strike. If it is possible, I may be able to use his line and change my phone number. This is how I am writing this blog entry now. I feel blessed beyond measure and feel a deep gratitude in my heart for everyone that helped me. Most importantly I am so thankful to the Father. I trusted Him, I did not worry and it was the easiest, least stressful and most affordable move I have ever made in my life! The old Karen would have worried incessantly, taken an unbelievable amount of time to pack and would not have trusted God as she did through this process.

I am sooo thankful I am a new creation in Christ, one that is dying to myself so that I can strive to be more like Him.

5 comments:

John said...

Wow! You are indeed blessed! Psalm 23.

GBYAY

Callmeteem said...

I'm delighted to hear you have a new home. May it be a God place.

pete porter said...

Karen,
That's beautiful, what a wonderful loving Lord. I wish every one understood the goodness of God in our lives.
Be blessed,
Pete

Karen said...

Thank you Tim, John and Pete! I am indeed blessed and sooo thankful for all that He provides! Halellujah!

Jeannie said...

I hope your new home brings you many hours of happiness and joy..