Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Remember Jesus

I just finished studying the Pastoral Letters. Actually finished my assignment yesterday. Paul gave Timothy much commands, directions and advice for living out the call God put on his life. One of the things that Paul taught was to remember Jesus.

2 Timothy 2:8-13

8Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel, 9for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God's word is not chained. 10Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.

11Here is a trustworthy saying:

If we died with him,
we will also live with him;
12if we endure,
we will also reign with him.
If we disown him,
he will also disown us;
13if we are faithless,
he will remain faithful,
for he cannot disown himself.

Pretty powerful words from Paul. I wondered why Paul had this teaching in here about remembering Jesus. When you look at the life he led, how could he not remember him? However, when you are enduring hardship for the sake of the gospel it is important to keep Christ the focus. If not, it would be easy to allow suffering to overtake you, giving Satan too much ground. It is when you let your guard down that Satan will attack who the Saviour is, trying with all his might to pull your eyes away from the one that saved you.

Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. There is no other way.

4 comments:

John said...

Great post Karen! Hallelujah! What a mighty God we serve! There is not other way, keep your eyes fixed firmly on Jesus Christ, the author and finisher of our faith!
Hallelujah!

GBYAY

pete porter said...

Karen,
I love your post. In my reading it the words, "Jesus Christ, raised from the dead", caught my attention. Paul spoke of the resurrection as if to say, because he lives, do this. Anyway that is what was quickened to me.
Be Blessed,
Pete

Karen said...

Amen! Thanks for the encouragement Brothers! I say Hallelujah and Praise God for His amazing life breathing, life giving word!!!

Cosmic said...

Awesome post, karen! Sometimes, when things go wrong, it's easy to lose focus. I know I've done one too many times. But you are so right! It is important to keep Christ as focus during rought times!