Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Babe in the Woods

Today I made a decision to go to and be involved in a new ministry. I am in a new city, now since December 18th, and need to meet people who have a passion for God. A Christian I met recently asked about the call of God on my life and I told him the Lord gave me a vision back in the winter of 2002. He wanted to know what it was, so I told him. I explained how the Lord brought me to this point of my life and had me move across country for Him. He was very enthusiastic and said that I had to come out to his ministry group.

I will tell you what this ministry is and its set-up. It is an evangelistic ministry that primarily preaches out doors, mostly to those of lower income or homeless individuals. A couple of these places are outside of shelters and drop-in centres. It is street evangelism, John Wesley style. It is a little out of my comfort zone in some respects, in other respects, it is right up my alley. I will explain this last point. I confess, I am not the most comfortable walking and doing street or door to door evangelism. I like to be led by the Holy Spirit to those I do 'blunt, in your face' evangelism to. What I love about this ministry is praying for others, seeing souls saved and people healed/delivered by the Holy Spirit.

I was very excited to go this evening. Last week, I think they said eight people were known to give their lives to Christ, many had hands on prayer, one person was delivered of demons, and another still struggling with demonization. Our prayer was for the demon-possessed man to come back tonight. As far as I know, no one saw the man, but I believe he will be saved and delivered. I did not know where I would be used this evening. It has been raining heavy in Alberta, so they brought the ministry in doors this evening, the other groups went out in the rain to preach. I was one of the groups that stayed indoors at the Salvation Army.

As we went outside to recruit people to come hear the wordof God, have pizza, bible study, etcetera, I approached 3 people huddled together smoking to invite them in and struck up a conversation with them. I saw many others further away in amongst some of the trees, and thought I could go over and invite them too. They said, "No, Karen..they are all over there doing crack. It is not safe for you to go over there alone." Then the one guy said to me, "I see we have ourselves here a babe in the woods." I kind-of defensively said "No, not really a babe in the woods. If you knew my testimony, you would be surprised. I may only look innocent and that is due to the Lord doing all the work in me. I am just not comfortable or know the area. It is my first time down here you know." Afterward, as I walked inside I thought I may as well have eaten my foot whole. Goodness! What a bunch of babble! I really am a babe in the woods in some ways. I am learning more about crack since becoming involved in street ministry, but this area is new to me in so many ways. I have been exposed to all kinds of alcohol and drugs over the years. I worked at a homeless shelter for teens, confiscating drugs and weapons. But the street ministry,seeing it first hand...I am a babe in the woods.

Tonight we shared the gospel, gave away some bibles, had an opportunity to pray for some folks. I drove one gal to a shelter. Talked with some other folks. All in all it was a good night, one filled with personal lessons and growth. Tonight I feel God handpicked just for me ( I apologize if that sounds selfish, as there are so many helped through this ministry). I feel after I heard the Lord speak to me this morning, and electrify me this evening, this is the beginning of many beautiful paths.

8 comments:

Bill Goss said...

Karen,
Thanks for the comments on my pictures.

Did you, by any chance, have a look at my blog on John's Gospel? I think the one on Holding Hands may be relevant to how you're feeling at the moment.

Cheers.

frostykaiser said...

Karen,
I praise the Lord for people such as you who are willing to go into the darkness to shine His light! The path you have chosen is a difficult one, but full of faithfulness.

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9 NIV)

I will be praying for you.

Callmeteem said...

Ooh, praise the Lord that sounds awesome Karen. God will use you there. And there sounds like a place I would like.

Cosmic said...

You're amazing for going in those areas to minister to people. I myself would be terrified. Of course, it's always good to remember that these are people who lost their way and need guidance back to the right path. I've been reading Proverbs (as instructed by one of the pastors at my church) and it said to always be kind to people. So, that is something I'm working on myself. You are definitely an inspiration to me.

Karen said...

Thank you and bless each one of you for your comments, prayers and encouragement. I am soooo looking forward to next Monday evening. I am hoping to be doing the outdoor ministry at one of the drop-in-centres. Probably in the rain. Here in Alberta we are in a crisis with rain, much flooding in the Southern part of the province. Now there is concern about one of the rivers in Calgary. The Lord is continuing to keep my couch dry on the lawn,praise the Lord!

John said...

Good on you Karen, bless others and you will be blessed! keep up the good work and keep posting!

GBYAY

IMO said...

I am humbled by your testimony and I see me in you. Unfortunatly I think that I have lost a little of my zealousness in sharing Christ. God has given me a passion for the homeless and we even had some in our home for awhile, but I think that I am not doing exactly what the Lord would have me do. He is speaking to me through your post and others. Thanks for being used of God!

Karen said...

John,
Thank you and bless you. I am learning that you reap what you sow. The Lord is true to His word,in every sense. I am blessed.

Teresa,
I am glad my post and others is blessing you. That is how God works. We all go through challenges on this journey, where even our faith does not feel as strong as it once was, however God has a purpose for every season. Press into God like never before, your zeal for the Lord will return with a greater passion and intensity than it once was. You now can reflect back on the desert moments and appreciate the Lord with a greater reverance. I pray the Holy Spirit comes and fills you to overflowing with a measure you have not known before. Go Bless you.