Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Pray for Alberta

Currently many parts of Southern Alberta have been declared a state of emergency. Some communities have had a mandatory evacuation. Due to increasing levels of rainfall, rivers are rising and overflowing. Ten years ago Alberta experienced severe flooding, mostly in the Southern part.

Now, in Calgary, the rivers are rising. The Elbow River is threatening and rising on the banks, creeping into yards. Outside of Calgary, one community in the west of Bragg Creek has had a suggested evacuation as well, as their only bridge is threatening to be washed out. Pincher Creek has flooded over, and Sheep River is threatening some communities West of Calgary.

Please pray for safety for all adults and children in these areas. Please pray for minimal or no damage to their homes/belongings. The rain might let up a little by tomorrow, but areas will still be on watch until the water starts to dry up. Calgary has not delcared a state of emergency, but is in the process of preparing for one.

On my end here, The Lord has been good. A friend helped me bring in my loveseat from outside and it was fine. Praise the Lord! I now have furniture! We moved it in the rain and it got wet, but dried out with no problems or damage. My couch is outside on the lawn wrapped in plastic, as it will not fit in my apartment. It appears to still be dry, even with all of this rain. I asked the Lord to keep it dry and praise the Lord he has! Even our first bout of rain a couple of weeks ago, I was driving home and it started to pour. I prayed, Lord please save the furniture. When I arrived, the wind blew the plastic off, it had rained, but the furniture was completely dry. The plastic was wet, and a puddle to boot. I praised God aloud right there and thanked Him. Now, I am hoping to bless our church's new youth pastor with a couch. I will not find out until Sunday if he can take it. Please pray to keep it safe so it can bless someone, hopefully this new Pastor that is moving to our city from the US.

On a final note, some may think that the big things we see God do are miracles. I believe the little things are miracles too. God keeping my furniture dry under such circumstances is a demonstration of His magnificent power and He does deserve the glory!!!

7 comments:

John said...

Praise God for the small miracles, in fact praise Him for any miracle! Great post Karen!

GBYAY

pete porter said...

Karen,
Glad your doing well. And that your experiencing the love of God in your life, it's good to be cared for by such a wonderful Father.
Be Blessed,
Pete

Karen said...

Thank you John and Pete,I am pressing into Him!!! Hallelujah!

IMO said...

Hey Karen, We have friends who are missionaries in Alberta, Cocran area. I haven't spoken to them in a while so it would be good to know what to pray for them specific to the area's needs.

IMO said...

Oh, and the little things are terrific reminders of God saying, "I'm here, ALL the time"!

Karen said...

Teresa,
I believe Cochrane will be under some of the same flood watches as Calgary and other areas,though not near as severe as Southern Alberta. I would say the prayer requests would be similar to the other areas. Pray for those families and businesses that live close to riverbanks and pray for bridges, etc. However,I have not heard anything about Cochrane on the news. I will not even hear the news until late this evening.

Thank you agin for yourcomments. Yes,those little things are reminders of His constant loving presence.

Cosmic said...

Oh, I hope everyone is fine! I know what it feels like to be flooded. In fact, some parts of the city flooded today. Thankfully, it wasn't all that bad.

It's strange. Though I always expect God to do big miracles, I always look for Him to do small miracles. I think the big miracle expectation comes from the fact that God did some mighty big miracles in the Bible. But still, I am always grateful for the small miracles. It's usually the small miracles that mean the most to me anyway.