Tuesday, March 15, 2005

What is a curse?

When I first entered the world of Christianese, this is a word that came up that often puzzled me and I was intent on finding out what it meant and why it is used. It is used in several scriptures, one of which is Rom 12:14 "Bless those who persecute you; bless, and do not curse." (NIV)

So....I naturally thought Christians were strange or too focused on witchcraft. I thought a curse is like a spell you put on someone, curses don't exist, all that stuff is in fairy tales. In fact, I had grown up not really believing even the devil was real.I did not learn any of this until the Lord brought me back to him almost four years ago. Then I learned that a curse can be any word that is spoken against a person. '...what? You cannot be serious.' However, as I examined the scriptures and sought the Holy Spirit this is true.

Webster's College Dictionary gives several meanings for what a curse is:

  1. the expression or wish that misfortune, evil, doom, etc., befall someone.
  2. a formula or charm intended to cause misfortune to another.
  3. the act of reciting such a formula.
  4. a profane or obscene word, esp. as used in anger or for emphasis; swearword.
  5. an ecclesisatical censure or anathema (a person or thing that is detested or loathed) .
  6. to wish or invoke evil, calamity, injury, or destruction upon.
  7. to swear at.
  8. to blaspheme ( to speak evil of God; slander; abuse).
  9. to excommunicate.
  10. slang for menstruation or menstrual period.

This is part of Jesus' teaching. To bless and not curse. See the next two verses.(NIV)

Matthew 5:44 But I tell you: Love your enemies [ Some late manuscripts enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you] and pray for those who persecute you, (Context Matt. 5:43-45)

Luke 6:28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. (Context Luke 6:27-29)

We are to love our neighbours as ourselves. We are to speak blessing into others' lives. We are not to retaliate against someone if they are angry or have done harm to us. We are to bless and pray for those people.

Have you ever noticed well meaning Christians find different ways to express their anger that they feel is acceptable. "You do not know what she did to me, one of these days she will get it back ten fold for hurting my feelings." Well, who made them judge and jury? Is this not cursing the other person? Wishing bad things to fall upon your neighbour or brother and sister in Christ? Scripture also gives direction in this area:

Matthew 7
Judging Others
1“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

The example of how we Christians treat each other is just an example. Not only that, but how we treat our neighbour. I am not one who has completely abided by this teaching either, although I do strive to bless and not curse. I find that a good majority of us stumble in this area of our lives. We are driving along and someone cuts us off. How do you react? Most of the time now I say "Bless You and pray for the person's crazy driving." Not all of the time. Sometimes I say things I shouldn't and have to ask the Lord to forgive me for calling someone a name which meant they have no brain, etc. Before I came back to the Lord again, in my rebellious days, I just overused a particular finger. Regardless, our actions and words can be curses against the other person.

How about the way we treat others in different denominations or the homosexual community? I often find brothers and sisters in Christ saying things about other denominations that are curses. They feel justified in expressing what they do because their doctrine or theology may be different from their own. It is okay to express your opinion but not to the point that you resort to name calling. You are cursing and not blessing.

Now, as for the homosexual community...why do Christians resort to such anger and vulgarity to express what the scriptures say. We are to love them just as any other person who sins on this earth. Bless and pray for them. We are not the judge. We are the salt and light of this earth. However I hear cursing and profanities expressed by brothers and sisters that breaks my heart.

As a final note, we need to ask ourselves..."What would Jesus do?" He is a friend of sinners. He would allow anyone in his company to listen to His teaching. He loved them. He loved us all so much he died for every single one of our sins. I encourage all of you to bless as often as you can. Do not judge. Pray for others. You can make a difference in this world just on this teaching alone. Not only that, your life will change drastically. The devil has no power when you speak blessings over others. I strongly believe that what you reap, you sow. If you bless others, you will be blessed.

2 comments:

Callmeteem said...

Amen, Karen.
We need to always express grace and blessing in our words. And that includes those circumstances where the temptation is to curse.
We are the people of God. Even when we speak to issues of sin, we need to seek redemption and we cannot put on the attitudes of the world.

Noni said...

Nice work Karen. A good read; well though out and most helpful. I pray you continue to bless others by speaking the truth of the bible.

Many blessings.